Every temple has a anecdote behind it and every puranic legend has a temple. Lord Shiva created the place to please Devi Uma, consequently he is called Umanand. Kamdev was also burnt to ashes on his effort to wake Lord Shiva from meditation on this river island hillock called Bhasmacala. British officer named it Peacock Island due to its shape or presence of beautiful bird.
Temple was built by the Ahom King Gadadhar Singha in 1994 and rebuilt by a local merchant after earth quack in 1897.
Shiv ling is in a garbhagrah, deep inside a cave where there is a spring bathing Ling.
Temple is about a kilometre from Kachari Ghat of Brahmaputra. There is regular country boat carrying 20-40 passenger from 7am to 4pm.