The Mahabhairab temple is located on a hillock on the northern part of Tezpur town over the North bank of Brahmputra about 200 KM from Guwahati. King Bana was eldest son of King Bali (Grandson of Prahlad) was ruler of Sonitpur (Tezpur), an ardent devotee of Lord Shiva has established the temple in Dwapar Yuga (5000 BP). The Shiva Ling is one of the largest in South east Asia.
There is an archaeological evidence of the temple pillar ruins found dated back to 8th to 10th century A.D. by the kings of the Salasthamba dynasty. Temple was rebuild and destroyed like all other temples of Northeast due to frequent earth-quacks till 1897.
Present temple was reconstructed by Shiva devotee Sri Swayambar Bharati (asNaga Baba)
Nat Mandir close the temple was built by Sri Mahadeo Bharati.
Lord Ganesh and Lord Hanuman as Dwarpaals were constructed subsequently.
Recently there has been reconstruction of main gate and other structures, being initiated by local authorities.